(Christmas Cake or Wedding Cake)
This is Smart Foods Caribbean’s
4 cups GRANNY’S BEST SOAKED FRUITS
½ lb butter (1 margarine)
1 cup brown sugar
5 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla essence
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Browning for desired colour
1 cup mixture of rum and cherry brandy (optional)
1. Butter and flour two round pans – one 8” and one 6”
2. Cream butter and sugar until light.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time; add vanilla
4. Combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon; fold into creamed mixture gradually.
5. Add GRANNY’S BEST SOAKED FRUITS and enough browning to give desired colour; stir well
6. Put in floured baking pans ¾ full and bake in a preheated oven 250oF for the first hour; reduce heat to 200oF – 225oF for the remaining 1 hour or until the tester comes out clean.
7. Prick hot cake and soak with the mixture of rum and cherry brandy. This step is optional.